My Enlightened Delights

Blog

To enjoy good health,
to bring true happiness to one’s family,
to bring peace to all,
one must first discipline and control one’s own mind.
If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment,
and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.
— Buddha

The Mindful Diet Day 57

Week 9: Set Yourself up for Continued Success

You’re kicking butt and feeling great—and maybe a little afraid that when these 66 days are up, you’ll abandon your new, good-for-you habits and slide back into old, unhealthier patterns. Fear not, says Peláez. There are simple steps you can take this week and return to if you ever sense yourself slipping, to ensure you stay the course—for good.

Day 57: Follow the 80-20 rule.

Once your new habits are well established, you can give yourself more leeway to cheat. “If you follow your new, healthy-eating habits about 80 percent of the time, giving yourself permission to forget about them 20 percent of the time will prevent you from feeling deprived—helping you stay on track,” says Peláez.


I'm sure you've all heard the phrase, "abs are made in the kitchen," this is a perfect example of the
80-20 rule. You could do all the crunches you want, but if you're not considering your diet throughout your day, your midsection will show it.  You will hear about the 80-20 rule in other aspects of life, but overall the idea is that if you do the right thing 80% of the time, you won't have to worry about the 20% of the time you're not completely focused on your goals. Most people apply this to their diet or fitness plan, but in reality it can be used for just about any goal. 

This brings me back to some mindful tactics we've learned over the past 8 weeks of The Mindful Diet. Although we were allowed some cheat days, it's important to set yourself up for success a majority of the time. This week, focus on the plans that will help you succeed 80% of the time and planning treats for the remaining 20% of the time. A good way to start is consider what you have on your calendar...if you have some get togethers coming up this weekend, it's important to stick to your goals throughout the week. You'll feel proud about celebrating your successes, instead of getting down on yourself about eating too much junk. Alternatively if you have a super busy week, it's just as important to prioritize your goals. Instead of being overwhelmed by everything you have going on, you'll be able to fall back on your healthy groceries or prepped meals instead of resorting to a quick fix.

 

Namaste!

 

 
Jordyn Koedyker